January 1, 2000





What was the first thing you did today?

I was at my overnight stocking job at Wal-Mart at midnight CST. I believe I was walking to our break room to take a break and see what was on the deli tray they were providing for the holiday. .

mothmc, 35
Pensacola, FL

The planes are flying, the power is on, we were able to flush the toilets this morning. Happy Day for that. Hats off to all those who have got us through the Y2K scare. We woke up this morning of January 1, 2000 and the sun came up in the East and it is a glorious morning in Florida, USA. The world did not come to an end. My Computer changed the time for me to the year 2000 and I want to thank that little person I still think lives in my Computer for taking care of that for me. Maybe you do not think I have a little person who takes care of my Computer but he or she is there. I have to admit that we have never met in person but that is OK because I know I can depend on that little person to keep my Computer in good shape. So Happy New Year 2000 to one and all and to my little "puter" buddy.

God Bless America.  Love and Hugs


I published the 2000days site and sent our the first official email from the project.

So the sky didn't fall down on us. Our water, electricity, money, and heat are all still with us. No big Y2K disasters. A few minor glitches here and there. Maybe more to follow on Monday, once the markets open.

No huge terrorists attacks. New York City arrested 14 persons on minor charges. Not bad considering ther were about 2 million folks in Times Square. Random automatic gunfire in Chicago. Hostages releaed in Afghanastan. Yeltsin resigns from the presidency in Moscow.

Apart from getting stuff up on the site, I spent most of yesterday day and evening tuning into the various TV stations (espcially PBS) as the New Year was rung across the globe. This was the first time that the magnitude of global telecommuncations really hit me. PBS espcially had arranged with broadcasters around the world to mark the celebrations. Dancing, Music, Poetry, Performance, Fireworks, Speeches, Rituals, Marriages, Births, Greeting of the Dawn. All of these entered my living room throughout the day. It has been awhile since I felt so globally connected. It was a more moving day than I would have anticpated.

Felicia, 33
Somerville, MA

Woke up and realized that we're all still here, and there were virtually no problems

Sue, 51
Henryville, IN

Began day with usual: fixing breakfast, doing laundry, spent more time on computer than intended. Merrily and I had lunch with Vic, Janet, Megan, Lori and her friend, Shelly also from UNCA. John came in later. Very good New Year's Lunch - black-eyes peas(coins), turnip greens(bills), c'bread, meatloaf and Lori's b'day cake for desert. Came home soon after eating. Mickey came by for about an hour. Always good to see him. Supper at Wendy's, wrote checks while watching Ala vs. Michigan bowl game. Tucked Merrily in.

Victor, 72
Greenville, SC

Read the paper to learn what happened. New Year's Eve was not a good night and I went to bed early.  However the first was a beautifual day and I repaired a futon frame that I built that was showing some signs of stress.


I didn't stay up to see the New Year in, so my first activities in the morning were devoted to sanitation and grooming. My first routine chore was swallowing my Fossamax (for bone density). My first nonroutine chore was winding the cuckoo clock that had stopped at one in the morning. Between one and seven there are a great many cuckoo-cuckoo-cuckoos.

Jill, 59
Saylorsburg, PA

I'd like to leave about 30 pounds in 1999. Unfortunately losing weight isn't that easy. I'd like leave anger and frustrations with a family member behind, too.

I'd like to go forward with a stronger faith in God that shows itself in my daily interactions with others.

Laura, 34

The first thing I did this day at 12:01am was watch too many people have a good time trashing cities around the world and not really care what would happen when they left. Then I wished many friends a happy Gregorian new year with hugs and kisses.

Chris, 25
, MA

The first thing I did on the first day of the rest of my life, was I went to sleep around 4 in the morning. I woke up around 4 in the afternoon. Officially the 1st thing I did was look out the window, everything was almost the way I had left it.{except of course, 12 hours older}. The only really thing different, was I didn't light up a butt the second I woke. Wish Me Luck.

Lowell, MA

I watched the fireworks display from Sydney Harbour and then I caught the train home and slept.

Gavin, 15

Yesterday / Tomorrow